Code Cylinder Styles

What's in your toolbox? No comments from the Peanut Gallery, please.

Moderators: Drewid, RaiderNick, hbrika

Fi-8015
Rookie
Rookie

Code Cylinder Styles

Post by Fi-8015 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:32 am

Hi, I have a question regarding the code cylinders.
Why are rod style cylinders only allowed for level 1?

I wanted to have some on the gunner but also on a possible future bridgecrew member and TIE reserve. Since I want to reach level 3 with the gunner I would need to buy dosimeter style cylinders for it and rod style for the others.

Drewid
Detachment Leader
First Name: Drew
Tkid: 4237
Garrison: Southern California

Re: Code Cylinder Styles

Post by Drewid » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:40 am

We actually don't have any accuracy levels beyond basic for the gunner. If you see levels listed it's because the object is shared between detachments and the levels are inherited.
"Web Jawa" Drew
Imperial Gunnery Corps Detachment Leader
IG/IC/CB/TK 4237

Fi-8015
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fi-8015 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:47 pm

Thanks for your reply, just to make sure I got it right:
Even though the CRLs (found here: http://databank.501st.com/databank/Cost ... ial_gunner) state different levels of accuracy (blue and red) there actually aren't any besides basic (black)?
So it would not be possible to apply for a level 2 or 3 gunner anyway?
That would mean rod style code cylinders are as accurate as dosimeter style ones?

Thanks for your help

CptCasey
Rookie
Rookie
First Name: Justin
Tkid: 31111
Garrison: 70th Explorers

Post by CptCasey » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:54 pm

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but code cylinders are not necessary for approval on a gunner. They are an optional accessory. They are also an optional accessory for the bridgecrew and Tie Reserve. So you don't even have to buy code cylinders, but if you do, rod cylinders would work for Gunner, Bridgecrew, Tie Pilot, Tie Reserve, and Navy Trooper as well (they all share the same jumpsuit, belt, and boots).

Fi-8015
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fi-8015 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:36 pm

Thank you for your reply.
Yes they are optional, but I think they really add to the costumes and I wanted to include them. But I also wanted to have them as accurate as possible, so I thought I would need dosimeter style for the gunner level 3. But now that I know, that there isn't a level 3, I think I will go with the rod style.

samivorhees
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
First Name: Sami
Tkid: 12077
Garrison: Nordic Garrison

Post by samivorhees » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:58 pm

So I have upgraded my gunner for.. nothing?! :lol:
Yeah sadly that's how it is around here.. maybe it's about time to make the accuracy levels a real thing..? :wink:
IG/IC/ID 12077
501st Legion
Nordic Garrison

RaiderNick
Detachment XO
Tkid: 3957
Garrison: Empire City Garrison

Post by RaiderNick » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:25 am

You upgraded your gunner because you wanted to. I always felt that if you need accuracy levels to feel validation by others you are doing this for the wrong reason. I don't see a need for levels, if you want to make it the best you can it should be done because you want to do it for yourself, not to "show off" or show your superiority to others(this happens frequently on "certain" detachments), it's not what the 501st is about. At least that's how I feel about that issue.

Besides all that there is no exact definitive mix of gunner parts that is more accurate than another as they were all different. As drew said the levels are inherited from the IOC and I don't agree with how they went about it either, especially with the boots as I've discussed with drew in the past but there is nothing to be done about that.
Imperial Gunnery Corps Detachment XO
Krayt Clan Webmaster
CTN Webmaster
Blizzard Force Web Team

Fi-8015
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fi-8015 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:29 am

Okay, thanks for the clarification.

RaiderNick
Detachment XO
Tkid: 3957
Garrison: Empire City Garrison

Post by RaiderNick » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:38 am

And I'm sorry if I come off as blunt on this issue but it comes up all the time and I am fundamentally against accuracy levels as a tiered rewards system because of what it represents. The 501st is supposed to be a charity first organization and over the years that has been slowly slipping away in favor of "merch fever" and other things like reward systems. There are a couple detachments I won't name here that are seriously into that sort of thing and I really dislike them for that.
Imperial Gunnery Corps Detachment XO
Krayt Clan Webmaster
CTN Webmaster
Blizzard Force Web Team