Jen's Imperial Ground Crew

Show off your progress and hard work here (not restricted to Star Wars)!

Moderators: hbrika, Drewid

Dax_Corrin
501st Master Gunner
501st Master Gunner
First Name: Greg
Tkid: 12485
Garrison: Cloud City Garrison

Re: Jen's Imperial Ground Crew

Post by Dax_Corrin » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:16 pm

Definitely need some battery operated LEDs to light up those sticks. Hope you can find someone close with soldering skills, nice bright switched LEDs would work really well.
Dax Corrin
TI/IC/IG-12485
Cloud City Garrison
Founder, NorthWest Quadrant Battery
501st Legion

jen0farc
Gunner
Gunner
Tkid: 21202
Garrison: Empire City

Post by jen0farc » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:22 pm

Dax_Corrin wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:16 pm
Definitely need some battery operated LEDs to light up those sticks. Hope you can find someone close with soldering skills, nice bright switched LEDs would work really well.
You're so right, that's definitely what I should have done. I sodered the lights in my pilot chest box so I have all the gear for that, but here the batons already weigh the backpack down enough that it digs the front plate into my collarbone a little bit, that I was trying for something light and disposable. But will probably re-print that piece and re-do with LEDs for sure.

jen0farc
Gunner
Gunner

Post by jen0farc » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:42 pm

More on the flight suit: I went to Florida to look at the Launch Bay suit six different times in the year since I started planning this build, and made all of my choices based on that display. I started with Simplicity 8060 as a base, but I did modify it quite a bit, so probably any jumpsuit pattern would be as much work. But for this one I redrafted both the bodice front and the pants front, lengthened sleeves and legs, moved the shoulder seam, added back pleats, modified the sleeve to a 2-piece, added a lapped zipper, added sleeve cuffs, added a collar, neck tab, chest pockets, the left arm pockets (the double pleated one under the cog and the comm pad pocket, I added a 1” waistband and of course, added the standard Rogue One amount of topstitching. All the seams on this thing are flat-felled, even the armscye! (That is not easy, I really wish I had a swing-arm machine for that, but I did the best I could with that I had.) For fabric I used a charcoal cotton twill I found in the fashion district in New York City and used gray topstitching thread. I did a mockup in navy blue and found white topstitching thread was way too bright so I went with gray, but had I to do it over again I think I’d go with perhaps a beige.

Fabric color is a little tricky. Mine photographs a touch lighter than it appears in person but the fabric should be a very dark gray, but light enough that the black armor pieces stand out as a different color. Having made flight suits before I didn’t want too heavy a weight so I didn’t sweat to death while trooping, so I chose an organic cotton in a medium bottomweight

jen0farc
Gunner
Gunner

Post by jen0farc » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:00 pm

More on the chest and back armor: 850’s kit came with the front, the back, 2 buckles, rubber straps, the blue acyclic square, and the 2 attachments as described in the CRL. It also came with some side pieces which were very comfortable and I did wear them once to an unofficial event, but they are not accurate so they were discarded for a side wrap piece I ended up making myself.

I ordered the TIE cone knob and offset disc from Elvistrooper, and used some scrap Red Acryclic I had left over from a previous project from the slots. I believe 850 made the attachments in resin, or perhaps one was resin and one was a print? I sanded them both down and painted them and glued them in first before mounting the front plate to the chest armor. This is important because the right attachment actually goes slightly underneath the front plate, so you have to trim back the return edge of the plate a little to make sure it still fits flush to the chest armor. As I mentioned before I had to shim it a bit in places for a perfect fit.

I cut the holes for the rubber straps slim enough that the straps pretty much just stick in place, but I also attached industrial velcro to both the straps and the inner armor so they can detach and adjust if needed.

I used JB Weld to mount magnets on the back of the back piece. At first I tried to mount them on the insides of the baton slots — closer to the center back — because it was easier to clamp, but the magnets flew together, got weld everywhere, and almost took my finger off, so I recommend welding them to the outer sides of the baton slots

I also used rubber foam to line my chest piece. I at first used regular spongy type foam, sort of like air conditioner weatherstripping tape, but after a test-run of the armor with it, I personally found it to not provide enough padding. As I mentioned above, the chest digs into my collarbone, so I replaced it with the thicker, rubber stuff.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Moff
First Name: Bobby
Tkid: 13525
Garrison: Starkiller Garrison

Post by Mitthrawnuruodo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:28 pm

Awesome! Thank you for posting all of this!
First Galactic Scourge!
2018 Detachment XO

Dax_Corrin
501st Master Gunner
501st Master Gunner
First Name: Greg
Tkid: 12485
Garrison: Cloud City Garrison

Post by Dax_Corrin » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:45 pm

Very nice work!
Dax Corrin
TI/IC/IG-12485
Cloud City Garrison
Founder, NorthWest Quadrant Battery
501st Legion

jlocht
Rookie
Rookie
First Name: Jenny
Tkid: 30974
Garrison: Argentina

Post by jlocht » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:51 pm

Hi Jen!
What do you think about this pic? Is it accurate? Do you know if the bottom of the helmet does move? or is it just a preliminary version? I saw this in the book The Art of Rogue One.
Attachments
IMG_4659.JPG

jen0farc
Gunner
Gunner

Post by jen0farc » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:25 pm

I don't know much about the screen-used helmet (although how great would it be to get our hands on it, am I right?) but I know at least one of the helmets used in the movie had a detachable jawbone because you can see Felicity putting it on and taking it off in this behind-the-scenes clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2qECexvzMs

Because the jawbone sits so close to the throat, having the jaw detach seemed like a necessary construction step to be able to get it on and off so that is also how I made mine. I have neodymium magnets on the helmet and small strips of metal on the inner jawbone so it magnets in place. I also like that so in case I need a drink of water or something, it just pops on and off.

Alpha Chaos 13
Imperial Advisor
First Name: Brian
Tkid: 6367
Garrison: NorthEast Remnant

Post by Alpha Chaos 13 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:14 pm

Water? We don't drink water! :wink:
IG/BH/IC-6367
Imperial Gunnery Corps Mentor
NorthEast Remnant XO
37th Kaminoan Artillery - Tipoca Storm