Gunner Helmet Build - NO PAINT REQUIRED

Show off your progress and hard work here (not restricted to Star Wars)!

Moderators: Drewid, RaiderNick, hbrika

Gunner Helmet Build - NO PAINT REQUIRED

Postby gmrhodes13 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:56 am

Imperial Gunner Helmet Build - Pic Heavy

Kit available from an Australian maker, does not need painting.

What is in the kit:
Dome, scope, jaw, jaw lid, 2 x strips abs (jaw reinforcing), comms box, curved visor, imperial cog sticker, antenna, tube for antenna, blue rectangle greeblie, red round greeblie, white round greeblie, 2 x white square greeblie, 6 x black rivets, 6 x washers, darker tint for visor.

Build tutorial:

This is the Vac formed pulls marked ready for trimming.

Note: trim lines on pieces are a guide, you may need to trim more if you have a larger head and neck.

Trimmed close to the template lines on all three pieces.....then use a dremel to sand the rest until the lines have gone, keeping nice contour lines and any white left can be polished off later.

Once the jaw has been trimmed, then place it upside down on the bench to make sure its all straight and no gaps ( Very Important).

Now file a 45 degree angle on the jaw lip, I recommend using a hand file as this will give the best results for a seamless joint.

Drill the for holes in the dome that have been marked on the ear sides.( always check the holes marked that they are in uniform with the dome as they can move when marked) !!!!
Position the jaw under the dome and use clamps or magnets to hold in position... put 40mm blocks or spacers under for the gap and 40mm forward of the dome.
When its in the correct position drill and pop one rivet on each side to hold in position and check again that's its all 40mm gap and jaw out, when happy drill the other two holes and pop rivet them ( use washers behind the rivets so they don't pull through)

Trim the jaw lid and slot 2mm out on each side so it can slide back into the dome.

This needs to match in with the jaw with the same front edge, once done then file a 45 degree edge on the lid.

When your happy with it then tape it down so there are no gaps ( if your lid is wider then the dome, dont !! force it in as this will change the shape of the dome and pull the dome gap down on the jaw...this needs to fit in snug ).

Last edited by gmrhodes13 on Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
gmrhodes13
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

First Name: Q
Tkid: 85421
Garrison: Terror Australis

Re: Gunner Helmet Build - Pic Heavy

Postby gmrhodes13 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:57 am

Part 2

Cut your strips into 60mm pieces and some smaller ones as you go around the under side of the lid.

Heat them up and bend them to the right angle, you can push them under the lid to get the angle when they are still soft, each one will have a different angle so do one at at time.
You can put as many in as you want !!

Glue them in with E-6000 and use tape or magnets to hold them into position, leave overnight to dry.

You can also bend one at 90 degree and glue 10mm up from the dome edge, this will help keep the visor in position.

Once your dome and jaw is complete !!!! try the helmet on as you may need to trim more from the bottom jaw and back of the dome, this is easier to do now then later !!!!

Time to fit the scoop on, drill the two holes marked on the top of the scoop, you can then line them up with the two dots marked on top of the dome, don't drill through the dome until you check all is lined up on both sides...If it all looks good then drill and pop rivet on.
You can pull the scoop back a little at the bottom then put some E-6000 under the scoop and clamp till its dry (24hrs).

You can trim your visor so it sit snug behind the two pop rivets on each side but don't glue it in just yet !!

Fitting the comm link box on the left side of the helmet....put some masking tape on so you can mark with a pen where the com box is going.

Keep it lined up with the end of the visor and approximately 1 inch up.

Trim and sand the box until all fits nice with the contours.

Drill a 3mm hole in about 5mm from the corners.

Place the tube over the antenna and slide the antenna through the hole.

gmrhodes13
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby gmrhodes13 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:57 am

Part 3

You can also place a piece of wood in and hot glue or E-6000 the antenna and wood in together.

You may need to curve sand the wood to fit on the dome.

You can mark and drill two holes that line up with the wood, don't screw it on just yet !!

You will have to put some tint on the visor as its the darkest smoked acrylic you can get here and we need it to be darker.
Trim the tint so its 1mm in from all the edges.....

If you put two pieces of tape on each side of the tint you can separate the protective film which is the visor side.

Wash with soapy water then pull of the protective film and lay this on the outside of the visor which is easier then the inside.
It can be all wet and soapy, slide it around so its all in from the edges then get a credit card and work out all the air bubbles/water.
Try not to flex the visor when doing this as it will move around.

Once you are happy with it and no bubbles then leave it to dry for 24hrs, you can keep checking it for a few hours just in case some bubble appear and work them out.

NOTE: you can drill a hole behind the greeblies if you wish to add lights.

You can now hot glue or E-6000 the coloured greeblies on in this arrangement, leave it to dry depending on which glue you use.(don't put to much glue on as it will ozz out the sides).If it ozz's out then let it dry and clean up later.

This is the time to polish your helmet and remove any marks or white paint left on, there are black polishes out there available from auto shops.

You can now pop your visor in and put some dob's of hot glue in to secure it.

You can now screw your comm link box on the side.(make sure you use the correct length screws ).

gmrhodes13
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby gmrhodes13 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:58 am

Part 4

Place your sticker about 1 1/2 inch up from the bottom dome edge and make sure you place the cog vertically up.
Be careful and do this very slow as its a flat sticker going on a curved surface !!!
stick the centre down and slowly work your way out in a circular pattern until your almost at the end, if you need you can apply a little heat from a hot air gun to help.( this is not easy but be patient).

You have now completed a Imperial Gunner Helmet......

Inside the helmet you just need 2 x rectangles of foam to sit either side of your head, a thin piece of foam for the top of your head.

Also fitting a squirrel fan will stop your visor from fogging up.

Helmet kits will be available very soon in runs of 5 once shipping quotes are obtained.

Any questions shoot me a pm.
gmrhodes13
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Gunner Helmet Build - NO PAINT REQUIRED

Postby Nagedzi » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:53 am

Hi Glen, one suggestion: maybe you could add a little detail in this build about tracing and cutting the jaw top to fit? As the sheet of ABS didn't have a template traced on it, I wasn't sure what to do at first. I figured it out, but was reluctant at first to cut it.

Great kit, though!
IG/TK/TI/IC/IN/ID-42124
Outer Rim Garrison, GPR Officer
Nagedzi
Rookie
Rookie

First Name: Andy
Tkid: 42124
Garrison: Outer Rim

Postby Chivo » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:26 am

There's no lines marked on the top jaw lid as it gets mark after you have put the dome and bottom jaw together, your jaw can be in or out a little which would put the top jaw lid out and it needs to be spot on for the seamless joint.
If you place the jaw lid onto the jaw and mark the 2mm recess on the inside so you can trim it back 20mm then you can slide it all the way in, Then you can mark your final trim lines and I allow 10mm inside the dome for the visor to sit on or you can go further but leave enough room so it doesn't touch your nose, Once that fits nice then you can file a 45 degree angle on the bottom of the jaw lid so it fits snug onto the jaw.
Glen will add some details with pictures soon.

Hope this helps !!! Michael
Chivo
Rookie
Rookie

First Name: Michael
Tkid: 4582
Garrison: TAG

Postby gmrhodes13 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:49 am

After receiving feedback here is how to cut the jaw

Once you have riveted the dome to the jaw turn the helmet upside down and insert the jaw plate

Mark the corners where the plate touches the jaw, once you have that measure 20mm from the end of the plate, then outwards, this section will fit inside the jaw.

Next turn the helmet the right way up and hold the jaw plate up against the dome, once cut this section will be inside the helmet

Cut out the two notches

Place the plate back inside the jaw and now mark the outside of the jaw on to the plate

Modify the template to make sure you have enough material on the 20mm sections then just trim.

I hope that has made it a little clearer ;)
gmrhodes13
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby gmrhodes13 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:12 pm

Light kit, how to install:

First you will need to drill a small hole big enough to allow the led lights to come through

Next find the centre of the coloured tiles and grind out some material so the LED will shine through brighter

Find where the buttons will sit on the compad and drill a hole in the centre of them

Hot glue or E6000 the buttons in place

Thread the LED and wires through the hole in the helmet

Hot glue the LED's in place

Then hot glue the battery holder and switch inside, (leave enough room for some foam on the sides)

Now carefully screw the compad back to the helmet taking care not to crimp any wires, then you are done

gmrhodes13
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby PlainWhiteTK » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:59 am

Hi, I wanted to tell you I love your bucket build and the lights in the Commbox. I was curious about the material/items you used for your greeblies that allowed them to light up but stay a deep color. Did you happen to 3D print them? If so, do you still have the files for them? Thank you in advance.
PlainWhiteTK
Rookie
Rookie

First Name: Cooper
Tkid: 97328
Garrison: Star

Postby gmrhodes13 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:26 am

PlainWhiteTK wrote:Hi, I wanted to tell you I love your bucket build and the lights in the Commbox. I was curious about the material/items you used for your greeblies that allowed them to light up but stay a deep color. Did you happen to 3D print them? If so, do you still have the files for them? Thank you in advance.

They are 3D printed, I don't have access to the files they are part of the kit
gmrhodes13
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby swibowoj » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:19 pm

Hi Glen, I already get your IG kit, awesome kit. Need some research first before start assembled.
Maybe you could show us some detail in this build how to installed the visor, did you glue the visor using hot glue? or just snug it to the rivet and slip it into the piece of strip ABS from the dome edge?

question : how can you make your Black ABS looks so shiny ?

plus can I buy some extra rivet from you? just in case I lost on or two rivets.
swibowoj
Rookie
Rookie

First Name: Sapto
Tkid: 19715
Garrison: Indonesia Outpost

Postby Drewid » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:15 pm

Hi Sapto. You can reference this tutorial for assembly. It's not exact but it's going to be fairly close. http://imperialgunners.com/tutorial/how_to.php

There is a product called Novus that shines up ABS plastic. You can also use Turtle Wax :)
"Web Jawa" Drew
Imperial Gunnery Corps Detachment Leader
IG/IC/CB/TK 4237
Drewid
Detachment Leader

First Name: Drew
Tkid: 4237
Garrison: Southern California

Postby swibowoj » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:48 am

thanks for the info.

ah yes Novus, but can't find anywhere here in my country.
swibowoj
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Alpha Chaos 13 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:24 pm

swibowoj wrote:thanks for the info.

ah yes Novus, but can't find anywhere here in my country.

What about Turtle Wax?
IG/BH/IC-6367
Imperial Gunnery Corps Mentor
NorthEast Remnant XO
37th Kaminoan Artillery - Tipoca Storm
"Bring the Rain"
Founder
https://www.facebook.com/37thKaminoan?ref=hl
Alpha Chaos 13
Imperial Advisor

First Name: Brian
Tkid: 6367
Garrison: NER

Postby swibowoj » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:57 am

finally bought turtle wax...start to assembly soon.. wish me luck.. cross finger..
swibowoj
Rookie
Rookie

Next

Return to Imperial Showcase