Prop references as well as the Costume Reference Library

Moderators: Drewid, RaiderNick, hbrika

vaultfox
Rookie
Rookie
First Name: Robyn

Re: Imperial Ground Crew - Research and Discussion

Post by vaultfox » Mon May 29, 2017 5:30 pm

Drewid wrote:As far as the CRL goes, it will probably just state Dark or Charcoal Gray and leave the interpretation up to the GMLs. Faded black would certainly fall into the category of dark gray but I'm pretty sure it was off-black to begin with and not faded due to weathering.
This is awesome to hear! And yeah, I agree it's definitely NOT black ... but wow it was giving me such stress!

Drewid
Detachment Leader
First Name: Drew
Tkid: 4237
Garrison: Southern California

Post by Drewid » Mon May 29, 2017 8:41 pm

The end goal of the CRL is to make the costume as accessible as possible without sacrificing accuracy. That said, we're not going to demand 100% accuracy for base approval. Just like the gunner CRL, there will be leeway. Also, there will be a Level 2 on this one. Unlike the gunner CRL, this costume has lots of areas where Level 2 criteria can be applied, like the gloves, the helmet, and the suit. Whether there will be a reward program, like EIB, for pursuing the L2 challenge remains to be seen. I'm just in favor of giving people options, especially since not everyone has the same skill levels or access to the fully accurate parts.
"Web Jawa" Drew
Imperial Gunnery Corps Detachment Leader
IG/IC/CB/TK 4237

Thunder
Rookie
Rookie
First Name: Matthew
Tkid: 74568
Garrison: Alabama

Post by Thunder » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:13 am

Just found this thread. I'm very interested in this build. Can't wait for the Ground Crew to get a CRL. YAY!!!

mattnelson521
Gunner
Gunner

Post by mattnelson521 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:57 am

So if we make the pack that the action figure has would that be able to be approved with the costume? obviously it would need to be accurate and everything as well. Just kind of wondering.

Drewid
Detachment Leader

Post by Drewid » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:12 pm

At this point there aren't any plans to make the jet pack an approvable item. At best it would be considered an optional item. However, don't let that stop you from making it.
"Web Jawa" Drew
IG/IC/CB/TK 4237

mattnelson521
Gunner
Gunner

Post by mattnelson521 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:17 pm

I wont. If i get time I will that would be a great project for this winter. I think it would be something cool to add to the costume.

Drewid
Detachment Leader

Post by Drewid » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:57 pm

No doubt about that! It's just debatable at this point if it should be added to the official CRL due to a single action figure being the only source.
"Web Jawa" Drew
IG/IC/CB/TK 4237

JynInDisguise
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JynInDisguise » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:07 pm

Finally got back to looking at this costume and getting it ready for approval. I noticed Drew mentioned he hadn't seen Chris's build up close. This is the armor. Bucket is currently being worked on but not ready yet. Once it's finished, I can post photos on that as well. Keep in mind, the flight suit has had revisions since these photos were taken in January.

Suit base is the Cosplaysky TIE suit. I removed the pockets and used the fabric from them to make the smaller pockets/collar. I bought additional fabric at JoAnn's that matched to make the detail stitching down the front of the suit. Patches are from Endor Findors. Belt is by Pilot Bay. Cases by Philo Props off of Etsy.

Should also note that the batons are NOT Chris's. Those were made out of wood and PVC pipe by a friend. We painted them and used magnets to keep them in place. Eventually these will be replaced with the light-up version.

Album that shows some of the build for this costume is here: http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/ITake ... t=3&page=1

Hope this helps those working on the costume.

I can dye the suit to match it to CRL once it is finalized.

Drewid
Detachment Leader

Post by Drewid » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:12 pm

Noice! Especially considering the lack of references that were out when you got all of that together and the total lack of standards.

Speaking of standards, here is a brief status update on that (i.e what have we been up to):
The biggest holdup to finalizing the CRL has been the wraparound armor. We have a lot of pictures of it but even when viewed together it's really difficult to know exactly what it looks like. Here's my interpretation based on several pictures, the Launch Bay exhibit, and the 3.75" action figure.

* The front of the armor matches the contours of the chest armor and tapers to being about 3 to 4" wide at the back.
* It appears to be a single piece of plastic. Nothing indicates that it flexes anywhere in any of the screenshots
* It has several nearly vertical grooves on the left and right sides near where it connects to the chest armor
* It has a buckle connection that matches to the flared "wings" of the chest armor
* The back sits under the backpack.
* It appears to have a small return edge

I imagine the 1/6 scale figure by Sideshow will be the "definitive" reference. Unfortunately, every pic that Sideshow has put out has the arms covering the armor. I've been able to capture some details from the Launch Bay suit, but like Sideshow, the arms almost completely cover the armor. The figure is not coming out until October or December, though. This means we have a decision to make. We can do our best guess on this armor and revise it later or we can wait until that comes out.

The rest of the CRL will continue to be worked on, regardless, so people will at least be able to make progress. I would also like to have more people reviewing the references and assisting with the CRL. Experience with writing CRLs is preferred but not required. Please PM me if you're interested.
"Web Jawa" Drew
IG/IC/CB/TK 4237

Nacho
Rookie
Rookie
First Name: David
Tkid: 46700
Garrison: Midsouth

Post by Nacho » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:23 am

Hey guys and gals. I have been stalking through this thread for a while. I built a jawachopshop kit for my wife and customized a red kap suit. I wish i would have gotten better pics (front side back, etc) I need to close the pocket that is showing. The bucket is done, but I'm not 100% happy with the way it came out, but will pass CRL (when it comes out)

JediEmpress
Rookie
Rookie
First Name: Jenni

Post by JediEmpress » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:47 am

Hi! Any updates on the status of the Imperial Ground Crew CRL? I want to start accumulating some of the pieces but want to wait for the official CRL to make sure everything will be accurate for 501st approval. :)

Drewid
Detachment Leader

Post by Drewid » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:53 am

JediEmpress wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:47 am
Hi! Any updates on the status of the Imperial Ground Crew CRL? I want to start accumulating some of the pieces but want to wait for the official CRL to make sure everything will be accurate for 501st approval. :)
Sadly, it's in the same state as the last update: we're waiting for Sideshow/Hot Toys to release the figure. The release date on the website stated October 2017 so maybe it'll start shipping in the next week.

For the most part, the CRL is nearly there. We are just missing the kidney/side armor references.
"Web Jawa" Drew
IG/IC/CB/TK 4237

PanzerKraken
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant
First Name: Edwin
Tkid: 41181
Garrison: Florida

Post by PanzerKraken » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:24 pm

The hot toys figure is out, and when compared to the Gunner figure already out, the colors are pretty different. The gunner is black, but Ground Crew Jyn next to the gunner is dark gray. Same with comparing it to the Tie Pilot figure, both OT figs are obviously black and the ground crew is clearly not. Hot Toys is pretty spot on when it comes to their accuracy.
compare.jpg
Last edited by PanzerKraken on Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drewid
Detachment Leader

Post by Drewid » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:33 pm

I'm waiting for mine to arrive but, yes, that jumpsuit color is really easy to tell that it's not black in the screen caps as well as the Launch Bay suits. For definitive proof in the screen caps, you just need to look at the outside scenes. Compare the gloves with the suit and you'll see a noticeable difference.
"Web Jawa" Drew
IG/IC/CB/TK 4237

PanzerKraken
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant
First Name: Edwin
Tkid: 41181
Garrison: Florida

Post by PanzerKraken » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:34 pm

Attached a pic above