Imperial Ground Crew - Research and Discussion

Prop references as well as the Costume Reference Library

Moderators: Drewid, RaiderNick, hbrika

Re: Imperial Ground Crew - Research and Discussion

Postby Drewid » Thu May 04, 2017 6:39 pm

My personal opinion is that they are artists and want to put their own creative mark on everything new or different. The concept of a standardized military uniform, re-usability, and functionality goes right past them.

And, having worked as a military contractor/vendor and having collected several pieces of military gear, it's also reasonable to expect slight differences in the gear. Example: I have an APH-6C and an APH-6D Vietnam era helmet. The APH-6 series spec was designed by Gentex. My helmets were made by Sierra Engineering and conform to the spec. Visually they look nearly identical to the APH-6A and the APH-6B (Gentex part numbers) but certain little things look different (e.g. the details on some buckles, clips, and what not are different). They function the same but obviously came from different sources. It's pretty reasonable to expect the same thing amongst the Empire. No one vendor can supply a military that size. That's more an apologists view of it, though. :)
"Web Jawa" Drew
Imperial Gunnery Corps Detachment Leader
IG/IC/CB/TK 4237
Drewid
Detachment Leader

First Name: Drew
Tkid: 4237
Garrison: Southern California

Postby jen0farc » Fri May 05, 2017 1:54 pm

I've had the R1 Visual Dictionary since December and can't believe I never caught the photo in there. There's a good shot of the gloves, very close to the Imperialboots ones: (sorry my scanner isn't so sharp)

And why do my photos post so enormously? Anyone else have this trouble with Imgur?

jen0farc
Rookie
Rookie

Tkid: 21202
Garrison: Empire City

Postby Drewid » Fri May 05, 2017 4:44 pm

Nice shot! I've had that book, too. Didn't occur to me to focus in on the gloves. It looks like those have more more leather on the back of the index finger than the R1 gloves I posted. The imperialboots gloves are much closer to the ones pictured in the visual dictionary. It does look like the imperialboots gloves don't match the cuff of those in the screenshot, though.
"Web Jawa" Drew
IG/IC/CB/TK 4237
Drewid
Detachment Leader

Postby Alpha Chaos 13 » Mon May 08, 2017 7:21 pm

Drewid wrote:My personal opinion is that they are artists and want to put their own creative mark on everything new or different. The concept of a standardized military uniform, re-usability, and functionality goes right past them.

And, having worked as a military contractor/vendor and having collected several pieces of military gear, it's also reasonable to expect slight differences in the gear. Example: I have an APH-6C and an APH-6D Vietnam era helmet. The APH-6 series spec was designed by Gentex. My helmets were made by Sierra Engineering and conform to the spec. Visually they look nearly identical to the APH-6A and the APH-6B (Gentex part numbers) but certain little things look different (e.g. the details on some buckles, clips, and what not are different). They function the same but obviously came from different sources. It's pretty reasonable to expect the same thing amongst the Empire. No one vendor can supply a military that size. That's more an apologists view of it, though. :)

Very logical, especially with regard to the multiple vendor thing.
IG/BH/IC-6367
Imperial Gunnery Corps Mentor
NorthEast Remnant XO
37th Kaminoan Artillery - Tipoca Storm
"Bring the Rain"
Founder
https://www.facebook.com/37thKaminoan?ref=hl
Alpha Chaos 13
Imperial Advisor

First Name: Brian
Tkid: 6367
Garrison: NER

Postby NitroSpartacus » Sun May 14, 2017 11:55 pm

Wow I was asking Brian about this on FCBD, not having been on here in a while. Excellent and amazing progress guys!
NitroSpartacus
Rookie
Rookie

First Name: Chris
Tkid: 0

Postby MudGunner » Mon May 15, 2017 4:52 am

Was at Canadian Tire today, pretty sure i saw gloves like these :) Would have to strip the labels off but would work nicely

Jon
MudGunner
Gunner
Gunner

First Name: Jon
Tkid: 10601
Garrison: Badlands

Postby hbrika » Mon May 15, 2017 1:02 pm

Hey can you post the link for those? I am in Canadian Tire all the time and would love to look at them.
Emperor

Imperial Gunner and Death Star Janitor

TK/TI/IG-8487

No one expects the Imperial Inquisition!

Fight the Good Fight!

Nex Ex Orbis!
hbrika
Captain of the Guard

First Name: Some Call me Tim
Tkid: 8487
Garrison: Canadian Garrison

Postby MudGunner » Tue May 16, 2017 8:11 pm

I will look on the web page - was in store when I saw them...
MudGunner
Gunner
Gunner

First Name: Jon
Tkid: 10601
Garrison: Badlands

Postby hbrika » Tue May 16, 2017 8:19 pm

Thank you :D
Emperor

Imperial Gunner and Death Star Janitor

TK/TI/IG-8487

No one expects the Imperial Inquisition!

Fight the Good Fight!

Nex Ex Orbis!
hbrika
Captain of the Guard

First Name: Some Call me Tim
Tkid: 8487
Garrison: Canadian Garrison

Postby vaultfox » Thu May 18, 2017 9:18 pm

Hey all! Just checking in, has there been any verification on the color of the jumpsuit? I'm getting ready to make a 2.0 version of mine and (hopefully) begin taking commissions, but the biggest hurdle for me has been the color of the suit itself. Personally, mine was a stark black cotton fabric that I had faded in the washer/dryer through about 4 cycles. Do you think black is an acceptable color to use, as long as it's been faded a bit? Or should we be leaning more towards charcoal grey?
vaultfox
Rookie
Rookie

First Name: Robyn

Postby Drewid » Fri May 19, 2017 7:00 am

vaultfox wrote:Hey all! Just checking in, has there been any verification on the color of the jumpsuit? I'm getting ready to make a 2.0 version of mine and (hopefully) begin taking commissions, but the biggest hurdle for me has been the color of the suit itself. Personally, mine was a stark black cotton fabric that I had faded in the washer/dryer through about 4 cycles. Do you think black is an acceptable color to use, as long as it's been faded a bit? Or should we be leaning more towards charcoal grey?

Faded black might be acceptable but I'm almost 100% certain the CRL will specify dark gray if not charcoal gray. About the only thing I have been able to tell for certain is that none of the suits were black. They all appear to be varying shades of (dark) gray. The lighting conditions certainly don't help.
"Web Jawa" Drew
IG/IC/CB/TK 4237
Drewid
Detachment Leader

Postby BloodRayne » Fri May 19, 2017 8:33 am

I agree with Drew it looks most certainly like a dark grey, once again great to see the work being put into the research.

:gunnershoot:
Gianandrea Comandè
''An chéad duine chun ionsaí, an duine deirneach chun cúlú''
First to attack, and last to retreat.
TS/TR/IG/TI/IC-20791
http://www.501st.com/members/displaymem ... tumeID=239
BloodRayne
501st Master Gunner
501st Master Gunner

First Name: Gianandrea
Tkid: 20791
Garrison: Ireland Garrison

Postby NitroSpartacus » Sun May 21, 2017 10:33 pm

Does anyone have a color rendition chart? That'd be the "best" way to get the color verified as best we can. They can be pretty pricey, but you can probably print one out for free if you have a really good color printer.
NitroSpartacus
Rookie
Rookie

First Name: Chris

Previous

Return to IG References and CRL